nanog mailing list archives

Re: Emulating a cellular interface

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 07:09:41 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

A friend of mine is doing some testing where he wishes to emulate a
cellular-like interfaces with random drops and all, out of an ethernet
interface. Since we have plenty of network and system ops on the list, I

I would say that a cellular interface doesn't really have random drops, then there is something wrong with it (at least if it's UMTS). A UMTS network has RLC re-transmits all the way between the RNC and the mobile terminal.

This means that a UMTS network has more characteristics of packet flow, stalls for hundreds of milliseconds or seconds (or even minutes, my record is 240 seconds), and then a burst of packets. Very jittery, but very low rate of packet loss.

Also, the terminal might go down in "idle", meaning that if you send a packet to it, it'll take 1-2 seconds for it to come out of idle, cellular resources allocated, and then the packets start flowing.

I don't have a good idea how to emulate this, the tools I've seen so far usually just emulate jitter, delay and packet loss, and not really the above behaviours.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se