nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 20:19:38 -0700

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM, George Bonser <gbonser () seven com> wrote:
(quote)
Let's take an example: New York to Los Angeles. Round Trip Time (rtt) is
about 40 msec, and let's say packet loss is 0.1% (0.001). With an MTU of
1500 bytes (MSS of 1460), TCP throughput will have an upper bound of
about 6.5 Mbps! And no, that is not a window size limitation, but rather
one based on TCP's ability to detect and recover from congestion (loss).
With 9000 byte frames, TCP throughput could reach about 40 Mbps.

I'd like to order a dozen of those 40ms RTT LA to NYC wavelengths, please.

If you could just arrange a suitable demonstration of packet-level delivery
time of 40ms from Los Angeles to New York and back, I'm sure there would
be a *long* line of people behind me, checks in hand.    ^_^

Matt