nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Mans Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:38:53 +0100

Subject: RE: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-) Date: Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:34:56AM -0700 Quoting
George Bonser (gbonser () seven com):

Yes, I really don't understand that either.  You would think that the
investment in developing and deploying all that SONET infrastructure
has been paid back by now and they can lower the prices dramatically.
One would think the vendors would be practically giving it away,
particularly if people understood the potential improvement in
performance, though the difference between 1500 and 4000 is probably
not all that much except on long distance ( >2000km ) paths.

Even if larger MTUen are interesting (but most of the time not worth
the work) the sole reason I like SDH  as my WAN technology is the
presence of signalling -- so that both ends of a link are aware of its
status near-instantly (via protocol parts like RDI etc). In GE it is
legal to not receive any packets, which means that "oblivious" is a
possible state for such a connection. With associated routing
implications.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668