nanog mailing list archives

Re: Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:54:54 -0500

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 07:42:32 EST, ML said:
- An external Internet connection to the Internet Service Provider of at
least 100 Mbps per 1,000 students/staff

30K students here, 2x10GE to the outside world.

- Internal wide area network connections from the district to each
school and between schools of at least 1 Gbps per 1,000 students/staff

Not applicable when you're mostly just one campus, unless you want to discuss
per-building feeds. Most of our buildings have 1 or more 1G uplinks to a 10GE
core network, and some larger ones have their own 10G uplink. There's a few outlier
buildings that have a dozen or so people that still have 100M uplinks.

I can tell you that no one I know in K-12 or Higher Education has the
capacity for 1GE per 1000 students. Same goes for the WAN connection.

We're working on deploying 1G to the desktop.  Some buildings are going faster
than others - the ones we wired first are now the hardest, because there's a
lot of Cat-3 in them.  The later ones that already have Cat-6 will be easier.
With something like 120 buildings to do, it's going to take a while.