nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: VM slicing and dicing

From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk () mikefedyk com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:59:59 -0800

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert () timetraveller org> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Charles N Wyble wrote:

I use Proxmox exclusively and am very happy with it. It's a great product.
You might need to do a bit of CLI work if you want to support multiple VLANS
or other slightly advanced features. I'm lazy but I might get around to
patching the web UI at some point to support the stuff I do manually.  The
OpenVZ docs are very clear and the process is pretty trivial to do on the
CLI.

I've used OpenVZ at many sites and been really happy with it.

Managing OpenVZ from the CLI is easy.  I wrote wrapper scripts to perform
the desired functions.

It has extensive documentation available.  From a documentation point of
view it really stands out among OSS and even commercial apps.

Make sure you have sized the beancounters (resource limits) for your
applications and workload.  With the default beancounter settings, a
default centos5 install of postfix (100 process max -- per service, ie
100 smtpd and 100 smtp) or dovecot (100 each for imap/pop3, etc.) you
will run into limits very quickly.

Using vzsplit helps a lot.