nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:11:18 -0600

On 11/29/2010 4:49 PM, Aaron Wendel wrote:
A customer pays them for access to the Internet.  If that access demands
more infrastructure then Comcast needs to build out the infrastructure and
pass on the costs to the customers demanding it.

I agree. This type of maneuver is no different than ESPN3 charging the ISP for the ISP customers to access the content. Both are unscalable models that threaten the foundation of an open Internet.

As an ISP, I could care less what is in the packets my customers send and receive. The exception to this, of course, is malicious packets but they keep refusing to set the evil bit.

Jack