nanog mailing list archives

RE: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast'sActions

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:52:54 -0800

It would be bad form, IMO, for the state to come back to Mc'D's and
say
"hey...you guys are doing a thriving business here...we want a bigger
cut,
and if we don't get it, we'll barracade the exits and you'll do NO
business
in these shops you've stood up.  Furthermore, we don't care if our
customers
(drivers on the highway) have bought the McD's meal plan for their
frequent
trips up and down the road...they can't do business here."

But it is worse than that.  It is as if the Connecticut transportation
authority opened their own burger joints and *then* threatened to block
the exits if McDonald's doesn't pay up.

I am a great fan of markets and I am sure economics will "route around
the damage" in this case, but it will take a while.

I hope Comcast comes up with a better answer in the long run.