nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption - Sparse IPv6 allocation

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:13:58 -0700

On 10/18/10 12:42 PM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

I have a few customers whose allocations are /29 away from their
nearest neighbor (half a nibble). That seems a little close
considering there is a lot of talk about doing nibble boundaries, and
there doesn't seem to be consensus yet.

For these customers, I don't think they will need more than a /29,
but if we collectively decide that a /28 is the next step from a /32,
how will the older allocations be dealt with?  This is pretty much a
rhetorical question at this point, and I suppose the proper thing to
do is to channel these questions toward the PPML for discussion as
potential policy.

back in the distant past we were issued a /35, policy changed, we
returned it and on 2001 7/11 we were issued our current /32

thanks, -Randy

-- | Randy Carpenter | Vice President, IT Services | Red Hat
Certified Engineer | First Network Group, Inc. | (419)739-9240, x1
----