nanog mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

From: Darren Pilgrim <nanog () bitfreak org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:17:16 -0700

Tom Mikelson wrote:
Presently our organization utilizes BIND for DNS services, with the
Networking team administering.  We are now being told by the Systems team
that they will be responsible for DNS services and that it will be changed
over to the Microsoft DNS service run on domain controllers.  The reason
given is that the Active Directory implementation requires the Microsoft DNS
service and dynamic DNS.

Bunk. At work we have a network of ~1500 computers with over 600 of them running Windows. Our nameservers are all BIND, which have dynamic DNS enabled for updates sent from our 2003 and 2008R2 DCs. The DCs have no problem creating, updating and deleting the various RR's they use to publish the domain. The Systems team folks will see errors/warnings in the Windows logs because the Windows machines are unable to set up secure connections to the nameservers and due to an implementation difference between what BIND accepts and what Microsoft's OSes send; but in practice these seem to be little more than noise.