nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP port blocking practice

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:52:08 +0000

On Sep 4, 2010, at 3:11 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

I've certainly never run across it, nor do I know anyone else who has done so.

I stand corrected - it seems I do in fact know someone who's observed this technique used to send spam, albeit in the
past when POTS dial-up pools were the de facto access method for the masses and before the technical and commercial
maturity of the botnet business model.

I still maintain that even if it's being used today, it's rare, and essentially a corner-case.  This isn't meant to
detract from the novelty and creativity of the paper in question, but rather to posit the view that it isn't
necessarily something for operators to get too worked up about, in the scheme of things.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

               Sell your computer and buy a guitar.