nanog mailing list archives

RE: Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

From: "Holmes,David A" <dholmes () mwdh2o com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 09:26:13 -0800

Personally, I have worked in places where I have performed all of the skills below
(router/switch/Unix/Linux/AD/firewall/proxy/web admin/sendmail admin, etc.), and also in places where just
router/switch/architect layer 1-3 skills were the primary focus. I prefer the latter, and find this to be a personal
choice as to what makes for a meaningful and fulfilling job. The fact that so few network engineers are to be found
with all of these skills, I think, speaks for itself in that many network engineers have made the choice, and that
choice is to be focused on layers 1-3, which, with DWDM through BGP, offers many challenging, different, and varied
technology complexities the mastery of which makes work meaningful and rewarding.