nanog mailing list archives

Re: Flapping POS Interface on Frame-relay between a Juniper and Cisco

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:39:55 -0800

On 11/19/11 8:11 AM, Righa Shake wrote:
Hi,

Am having a problem that is buffling.

I recently changed a POS link encapsulation from PPP to Frame-relay.
Since that time the POS interface keeps resetting from time to time.

On my BGP session am receiving cease notifications from my upstream
provider.

The setup is such that we have a cisco on one end and a Juniper on the
other.

interface POS0/0/0
 mtu 4474

Does this match the other end?

 no ip address
 no ip unreachables
 encapsulation frame-relay

You might try "encapsulation frame-relay ietf"  for full compatibility
with non-Cisco gear at the other end.

 logging event link-status
 crc 32
 pos scramble-atm
 frame-relay lmi-type ansi
end

ROUTERshow run int pos0/0/0.101
Building configuration...

[snippage]
!
interface POS0/0/0.101 point-to-point

  LMI enq sent  81981, LMI stat recvd 77480, LMI upd recvd 0, DTE LMI up
                  ^^^^^                 ^^^^^
Something is dropping frames.

[snippage]

  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w2d

[snippage]

     6970870 runts, 2179 giants, 0 throttles
              0 parity
     892493293 input errors, 882184781 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored,
3335463 abort

Lots of CRC line errors, runts, giants, LMI dropped frames.  Kind of
looks like you could have a physical problem with the link itself.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net