nanog mailing list archives

Re: local_preference for transit traffic?

From: Mark Tinka <mtinka () globaltransit net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 16:14:59 +0800

On Friday, December 16, 2011 05:02:33 AM Joe Malcolm wrote:

Once upon a time, UUNET did the opposite by setting
origin to unknown for peer routes, in an attempt to
prefer customer routes over peer routes. We moved to
local preference shortly thereafter as it became clear
this was "changing" the routes in some meaningful way;
if a customer was multihomed to us and another provider,
this might affect path selection.

This raises an interesting question we've dealt with many a
time in our network - outside of situations mandated by
governments or some such, are ISP's happy to peer with their
customers (where "peer" = settlement-free exchanging of
routes/traffic across public interconnects while "customers"
= servicing a commercial IP Transit contract)?

Mark.