nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Scott Helms <khelms () ispalliance net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:50:39 -0500

On 2/9/2011 4:36 PM, Ken A wrote:

10/8 is the management network on my cable modem. The cable modem bridges your wan 'real' ip(s) through to your PC or router. At least that's how Suddenlink does it here. The customer is normally 'locked out' of the cable modem, unlike a dsl modem. The largest NATs are presumably w/mobile carriers. I've never been behind NAT (except one I controlled) on a consumer dsl or cable link in the US.
Ken

Agreed on the cable side (DOCSIS at least) but most of the DSL systems I've seen are doing NAT on virtually all of the end user gear. Bell South, SBC, Verizon, and Pac Bell are all doing or in the recent past did most/all of their DSL installs this way. Bell South tried using a brouter (only one I've seen in the wild) that did PPPoE on the WAN side and then handed out the same address it was assigned via DHCP on the LAN interface, but it was problematic (imagine that) and they stopped using it some years before the AT&T purchase/merger.

The smaller telcos are almost universally doing NAT as well providers like Alltel, Centurytel, Frontier, Finepoint, as well as the smaller ILEC's simply don't do bridging on their CPE gear since they seldom had their DSLAMs set up to deal with Q-in-Q or isolation methods. That's not to say I don't know some that are the exception since I do know of a few telcos that run PPPoE clients on the client PC and a handful that did get port isolation working but they are not the norm in the US.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology