nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 - a noobs prespective

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:44:10 +1100

In message <AANLkTimNwxkB0xZ-OKP44DXKvfLHedwV8K3pEX4yawQx () mail gmail com>, Will
iam Herrin writes:
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Robert Lusby <nanogwp () gmail com> wrote:
I also get why we need IPv6, that it means removing the NAT (which, surpr=
ise
surprise also runs our Firewall), and I that I might need new kit for it.

I am however *terrified* of making that move. There is so many new phrase=
s,
words, things to think about etc

The thing that terrifies me about deploying IPv6 is that apps
compatible with both are programmed to attempt IPv6 before IPv4. This
means my first not-quite-correct IPv6 deployments are going to break
my apps that are used to not having and therefore not trying IPv6. But
that's not the worst part... as the folks my customers interact with
over the next couple of years make their first not-quite-correct IPv6
deployments, my access to them is going to break again. And again. And
again. And I won't have the foggiest idea who's next until I get the
call that such-and-such isn't working right.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Well complain to your app developers.  They don't have to suck when
part of the network breaks.

http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201101/how-to-connect-to-a-multi-homed-server-over-tcp

If you just make sure your IPv6 path works that's 99.999% of the
problem solved even with buggy apps.  Also most broken apps will
just be slow not fail completely.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org