nanog mailing list archives

Re: Last of ipv4 /8's allocated

From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:39:29 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
On 1 feb 2011, at 23:33, Randy Carpenter wrote:

That's how I would do it. With the exception of LACNIC, each one
neighbors a block that is already allocated to that RIR.

But if they wanted to do that, why give 106/8 to APNIC?

I assume you mean 102/8, and because it is right next to 101/8, which they already have. Doesn't make a nice /7, but
there are no other unallocated blocks that are next to any APNIC blocks.

My suspicion is that IANA is playing a game of battleship with the
RIRs and thursday we'll see who's won. Colored in for your
convenience:

http://www.bgpexpert.com/ianaglobalpool.php

Doesn't really matter who gets what, because no one is going to route anything larger than a /8 anyway, particularly
the RIR allocations.  Just kinda fun to think about :-)

-Randy