nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:58:00 -0800

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra () wpi edu> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 03:14:57PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
There are many cases where ULA is a perfect fit, and to work
around it seems silly and reduces the full capabilities of IPv6. I
fully expect to see protocols and networks within homes which will
take full advantage of ULA. I also expect to see hosts which don't
talk to the public internet directly and never need a GUA.

I guess we can agree to disagree about this. I haven't seen one yet.

What would your recommended solution be then for disconnected
networks?  Every home user and enterprise user requests GUA directly
from their RIR/NIR/LIR at a cost of hunderds of dollars per year or
more?

You might be asking the wrong person for advice or reasoning.

Horses for courses.  ULAs have a place.

Cameron