nanog mailing list archives

Re: And so it ends...

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:34:03 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Curran" <jcurran () arin net>

Mr. Rubi -

I'm sorry if my answer is not clear.

If your question was: "What is the source of ARIN's legal authority to
manage the ARIN WHOIS database?"

then answer is that the database is managed as part of ARIN's mission,
per policies established by the community.

If you're trying to ask a different question, I'm more than happy to
answer, but I'd ask that you be more explicit.

I strongly suspect that his question is actually "Does ARIN have any
enforceable legal authority to compel an entity to cease using a
specific block of address space, absent a contract?"

I suspect the actual answer will turn out to depend on whether courts
construe that as a property right or not.  The situation is analogous
to that concerning telephone numbers, and that position has changed
over time, in that arena, as I understand it.

Cheers,
-- jra