nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ipv6 for the content provider

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot () wolfpond org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:17:10 +0100

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:22:40AM -0800, Charles N Wyble wrote:
For the most part, I'm a data center/application administrator/content
provider kind of guy. As such, I want to provide all my web content over
ipv6, and support ipv6 SMTP.  What are folks doing in this regard?

Do I just need to assign ip addresses to my servers, add AAAA records to
my DNS server and that's it? I'm running PowerDNS for DNS, Apache for
WWW. Postfix for SMTP.

Depending on your local configuration, you may have to change some minor
options (e.g add a IPv6 Listen line for Apache), but yeah, in general it's
as simple as adding an AAAA record in the DNS.

The only troublesome applications I still encounter these days are
Munin (monitoring stuff: http://www.munin-monitoring.org/) and anything
that's Java based.

If its running on a IPv6-enabled host, Java wants to use IPv6 sockets for
everything - including IPv4 connections.
Most modern operating systems do not allow this; you have to force the use
of either IPv4 or IPv6 and disable the other protocol.

I had to put these options in a Tomcat startup script:
  -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=true

--
Francois Tigeot