nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Design question.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:59:00 -0400

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 07:44:33 CDT, -Hammer- said:
Agreed. At an enterprise level, there is no need to risk extended
downtime to save a buck or two. Redundant hardware is always a good way
to keep Murphy out of the equation. And as far as hardware failures go,
it's not that common. Nowadays it's the bugs in overly complicated code
on your gear that get you first. I miss IOS 11.3.....

So what you're saying is we're more likely to take an outage due to tripping
over a bug, so we should go for the simplest non-crossover config to minimize
the chances of hitting a bug. ;)