nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 day fun is beginning!

From: TJ <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:07:18 -0400

Just FWIW:
US, Amazon, Dlink, DIR615, $35.45 ...

/TJ

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 08:46, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

In message <B7872A58-DE28-4CC2-8929-931FD3CE019C () delong com>, Owen DeLong
write
s:

On Jun 7, 2011, at 9:15 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

=20
In message =
<AF24AE2D4A4D334FB9B667985E2AE763A3AC06@mail1-sea.office.spectrumnet
.us>, John van Oppen writes:
I was wondering the same thing...   we have v6 enabled to about 700 =
users i=3D
n our native Ethernet to the home deployment here in Seattle.    =
Unfortunat=3D
ely, user routers don't seem to often support v6 resulting in only =
about 2-=3D
8% of users in most buildings using it, and most of those are just =
people p=3D
lugged directly into the wall jacks we provide without routers.   I =
wonder =3D
how long it will take for everyone to upgrade their home routers.
=20
John
=20
If all the home CPE router vendors stopped shipping IPv4 only boxes,
not that long.  At the moment the price point for IPv6 CPE routers
is still 2-3x the IPv4 only boxes when you can find one though not
all of that difference is IPv6.  The IPv6 boxes often have multiple
radio and other extras.  This shows that CPE vendors still see IPv6
as something *extra* and not something that should be *standard*.
=20
The D-Link DIR series v6 capables are not actually more than about a 10%
premium over the corresponding ipv4-only competition.

I see them in computer stores fairly regularly these days.

Owen

Wireless G Modem Router $79.00  v4      G
N-150                   $79.95  v4      G
DIR-615                 $129.00 v4/v6   G/N
DIR-815                 $199.95 v4/v6   G/N

The IPv6 price point is still well above the IPv4 only price point.

1.00AUD = 1.06USD
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org