nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route table sizeconsiderations

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 22:31:02 -0800

On 3/8/11 10:12 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
That's 1M IPv4 routes, IIRC.  Put IPv6 into the mix and that 1M quickly
shrinks.

<snip>

    I am researching possible replacements for our Internet edge
routers, and wanted to see what people could recommend for a smaller
chassis or fixed router that can handle current IPv4 routes and
transition into IPv6.  Currently we have Brocade NetIron 4802s pulling
full IPv4 routes plus a default route.  I've looked at Extreme,
Brocade, Cisco, and a few others.  Most range from 256k - 500k IPv4
and
4k - 16k IPv6 routes when CAM space is allocated for both.  The only
exception I've found so far is the Cisco ASR 1002, which can do 125k
v6
along with 500k v4 routes at once.  I'm curious if any other vendors
have comparable products.

Mx80 Doesn't use CAM for route lookups and the actual number of routes
is 72MB of RLDRAM holds will vary based on the distribution of sizes but
it's north of 2 Million ipv4 routes.

The NetIron XMR will get you 1,000,000 routes.