nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cent OS migration

From: Lamar Owen <lowen () pari edu>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 17:14:06 -0400

On Monday, May 09, 2011 04:45:36 PM Kevin Oberman wrote:
Depends on what he is doing. BSDs tend to be far more mature than any
Linux. They are poor systems for desktops or anything like that. They
are heavily used as servers by many vary large providers and as the
basis for many products like Ironport (Cisco) and JunOS (Juniper).

Cisco had an RHEL rebuild (internal) at one time, called, refreshingly enough, Cisco Enterprise Linux.  Cisco also
uses/used a Linux base for their Content Engines and subsequent ACNS-running boxen.

The rather high-priced ADVA-sourced Cisco  Metro 1500 DWDM boxes used a 486 ISA single-board computer running off of
DiskOnChip SSD for control and SNMP.

Having said that, I'd be just about as comfortable with a BSD as with a Linux.

And I do, and will continue to, run CentOS in production.