nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 foot-dragging

From: Jima <nanog () jima tk>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 10:00:18 -0500

On 05/11/2011 09:50 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 11 mei 2011, at 16:39, William Astle wrote:

I think the above two points illustrate precisely why so many networks
in North America simply cannot deploy IPv6 whether they want to or not.
We simply cannot obtain IPv6 transit from our upstreams. It's just not
available. And the old line about "vote with your money" doesn't work
when you have limited choices.

Apparently the need for IPv6 isn't yet high enough to consider adding a transit provider. I've seen enough press releases
from NTT and HE to know there's at least two that can do this out there.

Funny, I was just involved in a discussion on IPv6 in Canada yesterday, and this link came up from multiple people: http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=382 . There's also http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/detailed.php?country=ca&type=ISP , but I've seen some indications that there may be some inaccuracies (Allstream announcing 2001:04c8::/33, for instance).

     Jima