nanog mailing list archives

Re: coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:43:00 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Dorn Hetzel <dorn () hetzel org> wrote:

Does no one remember EGP? ASNs are MUCH older than BGP. And we were
using BGPv3 prior to the existence of V4. We used BGPv4 back in the days
when Tony Li would chastise us for reporting a bug in a 10 day old Cisco
build saying that we could not expect BGPv4 code over a week old to
work. He felt that we should deploy new code daily.

The big push was to have v4 available before the old PRDB was frozen by
Merit/NSFnet. (And, who remembers the PRDB?)
--

I caught the trailing edge of V3.  I remember announcing 129 prefixes to
Sprintlink, one for our B, and 128 for our /17 from C-space :)

Flashbacks to 1993-4 all over again.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert () gmail com