nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

From: Matt Ryanczak <ryanczak () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:05:43 -0400

On 05/18/2011 04:01 PM, Holmes,David A wrote:
I think this shows the need for an Internet-wide multicast implementation. Although I can recall working on a product that
delivered satellite multicast streams (with each multicast group corresponding to individual TV stations) to telco CO's.
This enabled the telco to implement multicast at the edge of their networks, where user broadband clients would issue multicast
joins only as far as the CO. If I recall this was implemented with the old Cincinnati Bell telco. I admit there are a lot of
CO's and cable head-ends though for this solution to scale.

I don't see how multicast necasarily solves the netflix on-demand video problem. you have millions of users streaming different content at different times. multicast is great for the world cup but how does it solve the video on demand problem?