nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo and IPv6

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:26:34 -0700

On May 19, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

On 5/9/2011 8:16 AM, Arie Vayner wrote:
What disturbs me is the piece saying "We recommend disabling
IPv6<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=ArHGqIAYvt_4fpp3N3vLzmNRJ3tG/SIG=11vv8jc1f/**http%3A//help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ipv6/general/ipv6-09.html>
", with a very easy link...

And I was just sent this link from our very own NSA:
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factsheets/macosx_10_6_hardeningtips.pdf

Disable IPv6 and AirPort when Not Needed
Open the Network pane in System Preferences. For every
network interface listed:
•     If it is an AirPort interface but AirPort is not required,
click "Turn AirPort off."
•     Click "Advanced."  Click on the TCP/IP tab and set
"Configure IPv6:" to "Off" if not needed.  If it is an
AirPort interface, click on the AirPort tab and enable
"Disconnect when logging out."

Matthew Kaufman

Proving that the NSA is behind the times like any other government institution. No real surprise.

Owen