nanog mailing list archives

Re: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible?with today's technology.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:48:52 -0400

On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:34:59 -1000, Paul Graydon said:

Not quite sure I follow that. "Start at position xyz, carry on for 10000
bits" shouldn't be as long as telling it all 10000 bits?

The problem is that the length of 'xyz' will probably be on the same order of
magnitude as the length of your message - if it's only 2-3 digits long, you'll
probably find a matching location in the first 100 or so digits.  But if you
need a run that's an exact match for an entire 20K email, you're going to have
to go down a long ways to find a match. (protip - compressing the email text
first is a big win here)