nanog mailing list archives

Re: F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET moved to Beijing?

From: Martin Millnert <millnert () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:44:50 +0200

Leo,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:
The only way to make sure a route was correct, everywhere, would
be to have 39,000+ probes, one on every ASN, and check the path to
the root server.  Even if you had that, how do you define when any
of the changes in 1-4 are legitimate?  You could DNSSEC verify to
rule out #1, but #2-4 are local decisions made by the ASN (or one
of its upstreams).

I suppose, if someone had all 39,000+ probes, we could attempt to
write algorythms that determined if too much "change" was happening
at once; but I'm reminded of events like the earthquake that took
out many asian cables a few years back.  There's a very real danger
in such a system shutting down a large number of nodes during such
an event due to the magnitude of changes which I'd suggest is the
exact opposite of what the Internet needs to have happen in that
event.

This sounds an awfully lot like the notary concept:
 - http://perspectives-project.org/
 - http://convergence.io/

Furthermore, changing network paths used to reach information probably
should not be reason to shut down a service, in general.  More
interesting than which path is used, I suppose, is whether or not the
data being returned has been changed in some unexpected/undesired way.

Regards,
Martin