nanog mailing list archives

Juniper DOS/Blackhole question

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:38:30 -0500

Considered j-nsp, but this just feels more nanog appropriate.

I'm told by one of my NSPs that I'm connected to a juniper. We were dealing with a DOS, and for some reason remote triggered DOS prevention via BGP wasn't working. The NOC said they had to enable multihop to my peering to make it work, otherwise it wouldn't accept the route. This seems strange to me. Any idea why a route would be rejected unless multihop was enabled?

Also, any idea why a Juniper couldn't handle a simple 750mbit/s, 1.5Mpps DOS? Don't get me wrong, it could have been more than that. I was just receiving that much of the DOS and my lower end m120 didn't seem to think it an issue, so I'm curious why I was dropping packets on the link to begin with. Interestingly, I have an OC-12 to another NSP who was also dropping after around 1.2Mpps (last time I asked, they said the oc-12 hit a cisco 7600).

Jack