nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outgoing SMTP Servers

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:23:33 -0400

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:53:34 -0000, Brian Johnson said:

It is interesting that some people who fully understand that the Internet is
composed of many networks run by people with different interests can say what
is best for the Internet as a whole. How my organization (or yours or anybody
else's) runs our network, is between us and our paying users.

The fact that a behavior is "best" for your network does in no way, shape, or
form, say anything about what's best for the Internet as a whole.  In fact,
it's well-understood that there are entire classes of behaviors that are
optimal for single actors, but fail when deployed widely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons