nanog mailing list archives

Re: Were A record domain names ever limited to 23 characters?

From: "steve pirk [egrep]" <steve () pirk com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:20:36 -0700

Found a decent starting reference. It was a Network solutions limit... I
*knew* it! LOL
http://www.123-domain-register.com/longdomainnames.htm

The domain in question was inspectorgadgetthemovie.com 27 characters long
including the .tld. I was off by one, the limit was 22 characters for the A
record name and 4 characters for .com, .net, .org, .gov and .edu.

From the 123-domain-register web page:

The word is out... and the experts have been taking advantage of a change
in Domain Name regulations that allows up to 67 characters in domain names.

How this will impact you:

   -

   Long domain names filled with keywords can get you ranked higher on the
   search engines. (yes, the search engines will rank them)

   -

   For those who could not get a DOT.COM domain name, or were limited by
   the 22 character limit, those days are over...for awhile anyway.

   -

   This revolution is driven by entrepreneurs who can act quickly. If you
   do not act soon, all the good domains will be gone, and you will have to pay
   premiums you do not want to in order get the domain name you want.

Since 1993, Network Solutions has registered more than 3.4 million domain
names -- all limited to 26 characters. Now that their exclusive government
contract is ending, competitors have tossed this artificial limit and are
allowing longer names.

Cool, I was not dreaming... ;-]
--steve