nanog mailing list archives

Re: Silently dropping QoS marked packets on the greater Internet

From: Mark Radabaugh <mark () amplex net>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:56:48 -0400

On 9/2/11 10:24 AM, Jesse McGraw wrote:
I've recently run into a hard-to-troubleshoot issue where, somewhere out in the greater Internet, someone was silently dropping packets from my company that happened to be marked with DSCP AF21. I'd fully expect others to either ignore these markings or zero them out but just silently dropping them seems unnecessary.

So, how do you guys treat marked packets that come into/through your networks?
Generally strip at the border the specific DSCP values that would trigger reserved bandwidth / priority handling in the distribution and last mile network. Otherwise we leave them alone.

--
Mark Radabaugh
Amplex

mark () amplex net  419.837.5015