nanog mailing list archives

Re: vyatta for bgp

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:45:18 -0700

On Sep 12, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

On 12/09/2011 20:08, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
How do you come to this conclusion?  I think a software-based router for
enterprise level (let's say on the 1G per provider level) can handle a
fair amount of zorching.

I presume by "a fair amount", I presume you mean "barely any"?

At large packet sizes, an "enterprise level" router will just about handle
a 1G DoS attack.  Thing is, bandwidth DoS / DDoS is sufficiently easy to
pull off on a large scale that a 1G DoS is pretty easy.

Incidentally, most service providers use "enterprise level" as a by-word
for mediocre quality kit, lacking in both stability and useful features.

Nick

In your typical enterprise environment, a 1G DoS will zorch the link long
before it zorches the router at the enterprise side.

I agree that software-based routers are not a good choice for a backbone
provider, but, for an enterprise that is dealing with <1gbps links coming
in from ≤3 providers, the difference in cost makes a software router an
attractive option in many cases.

Of course it is important to understand the limitations of the solution you
choose, but, in such an environment, a USD100,000+ ASIC based router
may be like trying to kill a mosquito with a sledge hammer.

Owen