nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traceroute losses through NYC1.gblx.net?

From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:21:40 -0700

On 9/16/11 11:42 , Steve Bohrer wrote:
My general question is "what meaning do I give to lossy traceroutes,
even when pings show no problem."

Can I expect that backbone routers should never give me timeouts on a
traceroute through them, so, lots of asterisks from these systems
indicate a packet loss problem that needs to be fixed?

generation of icmp exceptions e.g. ttl exceeded can/is delberately rate
limited, such traffic is sent up to the control plane. if a router is
passing traffic loss free through the forwarding plane then you can
conclude that it's loss free through the forwarding plane.

Or, are these traceroute asterisks essentially meaningless, and should
be expected on any busy link?

more like it's not trivial to conclude what they mean.