nanog mailing list archives

Re: wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

From: Benson Schliesser <bensons () queuefull net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:36:58 -0400

On Sep 18, 2011, at 3:09 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

IPv4 trading is already taking place, what are you (as operators)
planning to do when asked to route prefixes that have been
bought/sold?  Will you accept alternative (whois) registry sources?

why the heck should i have to?  the iana and the frelling rirs' one
principal task is to register.  if they do not register transfers then
what are we all smoking?

I don't disagree...

 and, as far as i know, they are registering
transfers from sale of ip assets.

Apparently true for some.  But I'm told of others that have bought legacy IPv4 prefixes with no intention of updating
whois at this time - no desire to enter into a relationship with ARIN and be subjected to existing "policy", for
instance.  I can't speak for their rationale beyond this.  But I do believe that several of them will try to get their
prefix routed, at some point.

Cheers,
-Benson