nanog mailing list archives

Re: wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:40:06 -0700

On 9/16/2011 12:58 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:

I wonder what would happen if a new ARIN member requested an IPv4 block of say a /16 for a new business? Or even a smaller block.
I don't know what the current ARIN rules are but RIPE will currently give out six months worth of space. Now, in six months,
I don't expect there to be any left anyway, so what will likely be all the v4 you ever get.

Very soon it'll be nigh on impossible for new entrants to the ISP business to get their own v4 space.

Isn't that the point?

Matthew Kaufman