nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 10:05:30 -0500

On Aug 6, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

I'm curious as to your number... where is that from?
Marhsall had noted a number of 'small businesses' in the US at ~1.4m
as of ~2006ish?

Speaking as someone who does a lot of work supporting small business IT, I suspect the number is much lower.  As a
group, these customers tend to be extremely cost averse.  Paying for a secondary access circuit may become important as
cloud applications become more critical for the market segment, but existing smart NAT boxes that detect primary
upstream failure and switch over to a secondary ISP will work for many cases.  Yes, it's ugly, but it gets them
reconnected to the off-site email server and the payment card gateway.

--Chris