nanog mailing list archives

RE: Common operational misconceptions

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:35:03 +0000

A tech trying to troubleshoot it and fix it themselves is going to be
hounded every five minutes for status updates and won't be able to get
any work done because every five minutes (I kid you not, I have worked
where that is a requirement) he has to pull his head out of what he is
doing and answer a bunch of questions from the PHBs.  And you always
get "how long is it going to be" and you want to say "10 minutes longer
than it would have been if you hadn't interrupted me" but you bite your
tongue.

Though the flip side of that is that if someone has been neck deep in a problem for hours, you should force them to
take a break, go get a drink of water, step outside for fresh air or a smoke if they do, or just talk to a colleague
for a moment and review the problem.  In my case, the stepping away for a few minutes has sometimes allowed the answer
to the problem to suddenly snap into focus or in the process of describing it to someone else the forming of the
thoughts to describe it often allows a new aspect of the problem to become visible that you hadn't noticed before.