nanog mailing list archives

Re: X.509 Certs For Personal Use

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:58:52 -0500

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Phil Regnauld <regnauld () nsrc org> wrote:
John Peach (john-nanog) writes:

    "Your request is being held up for review by our personnel".

    Up to 6 hours. Must be their definition of instant :)

It's nice to see that they actually do random reviews, rather than just
issuing everything requested. I use startssl and have not had anything
held for review.

       And I did get my account and cert shortly after. So they are quick.

       On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd trust a cert where they
       happen to be the ones generating the key and the CSR themselves.
       Yes, it's free, but that doesn't mean I want to give up all forms
       of security :)

<http://goo.gl/thGxC> (sorry, the blog's url is stupid and long)

use your own key materials and gen your own csr ... silly simple.

       Cheers,
       Phil