nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 BGP MIBs

From: Erik Muller <erikm () buh org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:12:31 -0500

On 1/31/12 11:42 , chip wrote:
Hi all,

   Can anyone point me to ongoing discussion about IPv6 BGP SNMP MIBs
going on in the IETF?  As I understand it RFC 4293 was somewhat
abandoned by most vendors.  Cisco has a new BGPV4-2 Mib but that still
doesn't address all the needs.  While I can try and push all my
vendors to come up with a MIB that has parity with IPv4 I assume our
standards bodies are working towards that goal as well.  I can't seem
to locate where these discussions are happening within the IETF...or
if they even are.  Any pointers or education for my ignorance is
appreciated.

There's little-to-no ongoing discussion happening, but such as there is happens on the IDR working group list (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/idr/charter/).

The latest rev is draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-12.txt and draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2-tc-mib-03.txt; both just expired again. Jeff's been refreshing them periodically to keep them active, but there have been no substantial changes since -09 (Feb 2009).

As I understand it, there are no known issues, it's just waiting on the chicken-and-egg problem of needing implementations to demonstrate that it's complete before publishing as an RFC, and vendors have been reluctant to implement it until it was actually a published RFC.

I strongly encourage anyone who enjoys monitoring their BGP infrastructure to pressure their vendors to implement the draft as it stands with the idea of finally getting this to standard level. At one point I had multiple vendors committed to doing so, and I think at least C and B still have it on their respective roadmaps for RSN.

-e