nanog mailing list archives

Does anybody out there use Authentication Header (AH)?

From: John Smith <jsmith4112003 () yahoo co uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 00:12:18 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I am trying to see if there are people who use AH specially since RFC 4301 has a MAY for AH and a MUST for ESP-NULL.
While operators may not care about a MAY or a MUST in an RFC, but the IETF protocols and vendors do. So all protocols
that require IPsec for authentication implicitly have a MAY for AH and a MUST for ESP-NULL.

Given that there is hardly a difference between the two, I am trying to understand the scenarios where people might
want to use AH? OR is it that people dont care and just use what their vendors provide them?

Regards,
John