nanog mailing list archives

Re: LAw Enforcement Contact

From: Chris <caldcv () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:46:21 -0500

The appropriately named SS mainly deals with counterfeit currency,
widespread ID theft (See also: Ryan1918) and threats to the President.
There is nothing really you can do and this is why:

1. If you contact the domain name provider, a backup domain is likely
being used, so if that is shutdown you loose you mole in your "whack a
mole" game.

2. If you contact TP/Softlayer, see point #1

3. I've had law enforcement become more interested in questionable
images, which were probable cause, hosted on a third party public
image sharing service than actually handing over information of law
enforcement value because you'll get that "we are looking into it"
response. The probable cause example turned into a quick warrant and
the suspect was arrested later that week.

4. I used to chase botnets. The emphasis is on "used to". It will burn
you out dealing it so much.

I would heed the advice of contacting cybercrime.gov and if you catch
bits and pieces of a domain name, send an email to the abuse contact.
EDU abuse contacts are wonderfully helpful if they are a decent sized
school. If they are some art college near Boston, good luck.