nanog mailing list archives

RE: juniper mx80 vs cisco asr 1000

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:24:28 +0000

We reviewd the MLX against the 7600 and M320 many years ago.
These days it would be the MLX against the ASR9000 and MX240/480/960.
It didn't have the feature set we needed, but that was a while back.

Our national exchange point have been happy with them, using VPLS to
run the fabric (I think AMS-IX do the same, too).
But that's a relatively simple deployment.

I know some large carriers using them extensively, but not intimately
enough to tell you whether they're really happy or not.

Mark.

You might get by these days at a peering point with something smaller if you are a smaller network and don't need a lot
of 10G.  Something like a Brocade CER-RT series.  A 1U box with 136 Gbps of throughput that will handle 1.5 million v4
routes in FIB and 256k v6 routes.  Sips power, doesn't take up a lot of space, has up to 48 GigE ports but only 2x10G.
If they had a model with 6x10G, it would be a killer little box.

It is basically a 1U MLX.