nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of address for IPv6 default gateway

From: TJ <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 07:57:13 -0500

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 04:16, Mathias Wolkert <tias () netnod se> wrote:

Note, you can use RA for default gateway while still using static
addressing.

Could you give me a little bit more on this?

Easy: have the RAs sent w/ a prefix information option included, but w/o
the A bit being set.

It seems to me that most platforms stop listening to RAs once you give
them a static address.

That is (IMHO) a broken implementation.  A static address, or even
a statically configured default gateway, should not prevent RAs from being
processed.

 /TJ