nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: Randy <randy_94108 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:01:49 -0700 (PDT)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Subject: Re: job screening question
To: "Derek Andrew" <Derek.Andrew () usask ca>
Cc: "nanog () nanog org" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thursday, July 5, 2012, 3:18 PM
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Derek
Andrew <Derek.Andrew () usask ca>
wrote:
You implement a firewall on which you block
all ICMP packets. What
part of the TCP protocol (not IP in general,
TCP specifically)
malfunctions as a result?

Isn't MTU discovery on IP and not TCP?

If you want to overthink the question, the failure in the
TCP protocol
is that it doesn't adjust the MSS to match the path MTU. It
continues
to rely on the incorrect path MTU estimate, sending
too-large packets
which will never arrive. This happens because TCP doesn't
receive a
notification that the path MTU estimate has changed from the
default
because the lower layer PMTUD algorithm never receives the
expected
ICMP packet.

This is, incidentally, is a detail I'd love for one of the
candidates
to offer in response to that question. Bonus points if you
discuss MSS
clamping and RFC 4821.

The less precise answer, path MTU discovery breaks, is just
fine.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Precisely! and if I understand correctly, a non-techinical person within HR is expected to hear this answer and relay
it to you? That is more than a long shot. Unless of course they have photographic memories, are great typists or
perhaps do "short hand".

./Randy