nanog mailing list archives

Re: FYI Netflix is down

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 08:07:14 -0400

    Hi,

    Well depending on your "black box", your millage will vary.

Their wide use of ASIC eliminate a lot of the headache of pure software implementation.

        Buffer, timing, expected results, etc.

Their "real" sofware only represent a small part of the device and is mostly relegated to management and some L4 to L7 handling.

So yes, ASIC/FPGA devices have "software" their result and behavior are predictable and the system is more stable because of it.

    PS: Yes, CAM lockout, bad RAM is still a pita for them.

In short:

It is quite a thing to say that because everything can be categorized as "software" that someone point is invalid.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert () pubnix net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443