nanog mailing list archives

Re: FYI Netflix is down

From: Mike Devlin <mdevlin () aisle10 net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:55:53 -0400

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Bryan Horstmann-Allen <
bdha () mirrorshades net> wrote:

Explain Netflix and Heroku last night. Both of whom architect across
multiple
AZs and have for many years.

The API and EBS across the region were also affected. ELB was _also_
affected
across the region, and many customers continue to report problems with it.

We were told in May of last year after the last massive full-region EBS
outage
that the "control planes" for the API and related services were being
decoupled
so issues in a single AZ would not affect all. Seems to not be the case.

Just because they offer these features that should help with resiliency
doesn't
actually mean they _work_ under duress.
--

But in netflix case, if they architected their environment the way they
said they did, why wouldnt they just fail over to us-west? especially at

Mike