nanog mailing list archives

Re: New routing systems (Was: IPv6 day and tunnels)

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:12:10 -0700

On 2012-06-05 11:44, Owen DeLong wrote:
[..]
LISP et. al requires a rather complicated deployment and would be even
more complex to troubleshoot when it fails.

What I am proposing could, literally, be deployed with the existing system
still running as it does. The difference would be that for packets containing
a dest-as field, we would (initially) have the option of routing to destination
based on that field and ignoring the prefix.

I would love to see a more formal specification ala a IETF draft about
it and/or a short preso style thing along with a comparison of existing
proposals and how this is different/better.

What I am proposing, however, requires us to add fields to the packet
header (at the source)

Well, we have IPv6 extension headers and the flow-label is still
undefined too ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen