nanog mailing list archives

Re: dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 00:34:16 -0500

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:15 PM, William Herrin wrote:
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
There's no need to
break the current functionality of the underlying system calls and
libc functions which would be needed by any such library anyway.

Owen,

Point to one sentence written by anybody in this entire thread in
which breaking current functionality was proposed.

When you said that:

connect(char *name, uint16_t port) should work

That can't work without breaking the existing functionality of the connect() system call.

You know, when I wrote 'socket=connect("www.google.com",80,TCP);' I
stopped and thought to myself, "I wonder if I should change that to
'connectbyname' instead just to make it clear that I'm not replacing
the existing connect() call?" But then I thought, "No, there's a
thousand ways someone determined to misunderstand what I'm saying will
find to misunderstand it. To someone who wants to understand my point,
this is crystal clear."

-Bill

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside comĀ  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004